Sunday, February 07, 2010

French Fry Diary 90: The Thanksgiving Surprise

A recent invite to my aunt’s surprise 95th birthday party put this memory back in my mind. Perhaps it’s a tale of enabling, but in my book it’s a great memory of a wonderful aunt.

When I was eight years old my mom spent a Thanksgiving in the hospital. She was okay, just bad timing with stomach trouble, but my immediate family was left without a proper Thanksgiving dinner that year. My Aunt Hazel came to the rescue and invited us to her house for the holiday.

We had visited about a week before and at that time, knowing that even then I was a catastrophically picky eater, she pulled me aside and asked me what my favorite food was. Three guesses what my answer was, and the first two don’t count.

Imagine my surprise a week later when Thanksgiving dinner was served, and there with all the regular holiday dishes like turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, etc., was a bowl of crinkle cut French fries. Yeah, my aunt is one cool lady, happy birthday!


Bookmark and Share

No comments: