Tuesday, March 20, 2012

French Fry Diary 352: Open Nature Crinkle Cut Fries

I was shopping for fries, as I am wont to do, with a mind toward being healthy. I know, I am quite the paradox. I was at Genuardi's and I saw these - Open Nature Crinkle Cut Fries.

Like some of the so-called healthy potato chips, the makers fill the front of the bag with their claims. These fries are 100% natural, no hydrogenated oils, no artificial flavored or colors, no other unpronouncables, just potatoes, canola oil, citric acid for the color, and a little but of dextrose so they brown. Go team healthy!

The cooking instructions gave me the option to bake or to just throw health to the wind and deep fry. Though tempting, I found the second choice funny. I opted to bake. The fries had commonalities with organic fries I've had in the past - quick to brown (but thankfully not burn) and in need of seasoning more than usual fries.

All that taken into account, salt seasoning and barbecue sauce added, the Open Nature Crinkle Fries were very good, much better than I would have thought. I will definitely be trying these again.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: