Monday, July 23, 2012

French Fry Diary 395: Chick-fil-A and Choice


Whether it's McDonald's keeping other restaurants off the Olympic grounds in London, or the Burger King employee standing in bins of lettuce, it hasn't been a very good couple of weeks for fast food restaurants. But probably the biggest and most controversial news is the one that nobody, or at least nobody sensible wants to talk about - the gay cow in the middle of the room - that Chick-fil-A is anti-gay.

Apologies ahead of time, folks, the fry guy is going to talk politics, but at least it is sort of topical to the favorite fried food.

The news about Chick-fil-A is better covered here. The statement that Chick-fil-A is anti-gay is just not entirely true. Chick-fil-A is pro-heterosexual marriage. And yes, it is a game of semantics. I am pro-choice for instance, but that doesn't mean I support abortion. I'm pro-choice because as a man that decision is not meant for me to make. This too is one of those things, sooo gray, and not black and white.

I have a hard time with this issue because I like Chick-fil-A a lot, and also because I have many gay friends. Some of whom, I should point out, work for Chick-fil-A, and even run franchises. We've talked about it, and while the company's policies and opinions are very strongly against gay marriage, they themselves have never experienced any problems from corporate. It is a conundrum.

Although I love Chick-fil-A Waffle Potato Fries, and a lot of their chicken menu as well, I will not be going there as often, if at all any more. Still I want to support my friends who work there, but not necessarily the folks who run the company. I guess I'm pro-choice, and anti-Chick-fil-A corporate.

Remember, you can always make your own waffle fries (maybe I'll post a recipe for them soon), and yes, you can even make your own chicken sandwich…



Hopefully in the future Chick-fil-A will change their official stance. After all, losing a major percentage of their customers, as well as the Muppets, is just not smart business.

1 comment:

Ray Cornwall said...

Glenn, I'm with you. I love Chick-Fil-A. No one has a dessert as good as the Ice Dream, and those waffle fries...

But I love the idea of my friends being able to celebrate wedding anniversaries just like CL and I do. And I love that idea more than I love fast food chicken.

So no Chick-Fil-A for me. Sigh.