Sunday, March 01, 2009

French Fry Diary 14: McLoone’s Pier House, Long Branch NJ


I visited a great restaurant today for a surprise party for my sister-in-law - McLoone’s Pier House. It’s an upscale place specializing in mostly seafood, with a terrific view of the ocean, and was the first restaurant in New Jersey to be Certified Green by the Green Restaurant Association.

Now you’re wondering what all this has to do with the favorite fried food, right? You knew I would get to it eventually. They have fantastic fries, traditional steak-cut fries, done a perfect golden brown crisp on the outside and soft and hot on the inside. I got them as a side with my burger and another diner as part of her fish and chips. That would have been enough, but then someone ordered an extra order of French fries – and it came in a paper cone.

Like I said, it would have been enough just having great fries, but presentation counts. The traditional way to serve British chips, the paper cone is a sign of class especially in the better restaurants. These folks even had the metal holder to sit the cone upright on the table. The Pier House in Long Branch NJ – great food, great fries and an A+ for presentation.

Thanks, Dan, for hipping me to this place, and a happy birthday to Tish too!


.

No comments: