Thursday, January 09, 2014

French Fry Diary 552: Dunkin' Donuts Hash Browns 2014


On a recent episode of The GAR! Podcast, my partner Ray Cornwall espoused the virtues of Dunkin' Donuts Hash Browns. You can hear that episode here. I knew I had reviewed them once, and talked about them again a year later, and was more than unimpressed. Ray raved about them, so I felt it might be time to try them again.

Despite Ray's description of them as UFOs and flat pancakes (not necessarily incorrect or accurate either), I knew as soon as I saw them, these were the same hash brown discs I had tried years ago. These hash browns are inch wide, quarter inch high discs of shaped potato bits, similar to the offerings at, as I've said before, Burger King and Chick-fil-A.

When I saw them pulled from a drawer where they had been kept since a first deep fry, then put into a quick bake oven, I shuddered. This was not going to be pretty. They put them in a bag this time rather than a cup, but they still stuck together in a nasty greasy way.

These hash brown-ettes do have an herbal spicy kick (I'm still betting on Mrs. Dash), but that's not enough to recommend them. I imagine they might be good if they were hot and not so greasy, but I get the feeling they cannot be found thus. Sounds like Ray might have found that one percent occurrence.

No comments: