Tuesday, September 30, 2014

French Fry Diary 619: Lay's Limon Potato Chips


I was doing a quick drive-by lunch at Wawa when I saw these. I got a hot dog, a Coke, and was actually looking for a snack bag of Ruffles when this bright lime green package proclaiming Limon, with the accent over the o, caught my eye - Lay's Limon Potato Chips.

Now I'm old enough to remember the 7-Up commercials with the weird fruit combination of lime and lemon, the half-green half-yellow limon, so I was a bit intrigued. The rest of me was like 'aw hell, another odd Lay's flavor to try.' Sadly The Bride was nowhere around to test taste them for me. Oh well, as I always say, I do this so you won't have to.

A little research goes a long way. Limon, with the accent over the o, is Spanish for lime or lemon, and they have green ones and yellow ones. The accent might also be why they're not being sued by 7-Up. These chips, while fairly new to the States (the northeastern ones at least), are primarily sold in Hispanic markets.

The chips themselves are typical thin Lay's regular potato chips, but with an overpowering but not unpleasant lemon-lime taste. I am reminded of some of the lime tortilla chips on the shelves. These aren't bad. I would definitely have them again.

No comments: