Friday, May 18, 2012

French Fry Diary 374: Funyuns Onion Flavored Rings


I don't really like Funyuns, but I thought I did. When it comes to onion flavored snacks, Funyuns is the granddaddy of the onion flavored snacks. It would seem that it would also be the best, but I say no. What's funny is I've reviewed other onion flavored snacks, like those from Burger King and 7-Eleven, expecting them not to be as good as Funyuns, but it's not true.

First things first, it should noted that the only reason I'm writing this review is product placement and possible subliminal advertising. I had been watching "Breaking Bad," and prodded by the character Jesse Pinkman's predilection for Funyuns, I decided I needed to get some too. See, it does work.

It is also worth mentioning that Funyuns Onion Flavored Rings are just a lot of corn meal, vegetable oil, lots of chemicals, and just a touch of onion extract. Not much of an onion ring at all, is it? And they are very crunchy, which is the problem I have with them - I think they're too crunchy. But maybe that's just me, I do seem to be in the minority on this, so what do I know? I don't like these things, remember?

2 comments:

JustinM said...

I used to love them. Now... it's not that I dislike them, it's more of an "Is that all there is?" feeling. I really liked the wasabi-flavored version that came out a few years ago.

Unknown said...

Wasabi might be interesting, or a sweet barbeque flavor maybe.