Thursday, November 15, 2012

French Fry Diary 437: Flavor Town Under Siege


The big news in food the last few days has been the scathing review of Guy Fieri's restaurant in New York City, you know, where food critic Pete Wells of the New York Times tore the chef a new one for his Guy's American Kitchen & Bar in Times Square.

For those of you who missed it, read it here.

Wow. Huh, how about that? I have commented on the Facebook, and to friends that I wish someday I could write something like that. That is a solid piece of writing, so incisive, so destructive, so hateful - and so to the point. Pete Wells hated his experience at Guy's American Kitchen & Bar obviously.


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


Also check out the article that accompanied the above video here.

But as noted above in Guy's rebuttal on "The Today Show" this morning, this Wells guy must have had some other agenda. You can't possibly hate everything about a place, especially when, as Wells admitted, you've gone there four times.

I've had crappy service and food at some of my favorite restaurants, and really good service food at some of my least favorite. Things change with the day. Even at McDonald's and Burger King, whose skills lie mostly in consistency, you can get different food from day to day.

And as much as I envy Pete Wells' mad writin' skillz, I like Guy Fieri quite a bit. He's the man. Anything that may be wrong will be fixed, and anything else is a fluke, I'm sure. At least until I get to review Guy's American Kitchen & Bar myself someday. Hmmm... I wonder how the fries are…

No comments: