Wednesday, May 15, 2013

French Fry Diary 491: T.G.I. Fridays Onion Rings Snacks


I am always leery of onion flavored snacks. They are usually pretty bad and unflavorful. The good ones, like the ones from 7-Eleven, are few and far beyond.

These T.G.I. Fridays Onion Rings Snacks are pretty average, and had a few things going against them from the start. I found them at Dollar Tree. No offense to Dollar Tree, but let's face it, food from dollar stores is, by reputation, shady and suspect. Yes, I checked the expiration date. They were very hard to open, as if they were from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's - maybe that's why they were at Dollar Tree, faulty packaging.

The snacks themselves thick half-dollar sized crunchy facsimiles of onion rings. If you squint your eyes you can imagine they're little donuts. They don't taste like them though. They are pretty good with just a hint of onion flavoring. Compared to most onion snacks, these actually do have onion in them.

And surprisingly, as a Fridays product, these actually aren't too bad for you. The serving size to calories ratio is pretty good, and there's no sugar, cholesterol, or transfats. I liked these, not bad for a dollar store find.

1 comment:

Breei said...

We have only 1 grocery store (Winn Dixie) which I can purchase these Onion Rings. Best thing T.G.I.FIDAY'S could make. Ihave diveticulitis & can eat these baked Onion rings w/ out my stomach swelling.I'm eating a bag a day..$60.00 a month, but worth every penny! Sure wish WalMart would contract with T.G.I. FRIDAY'S onion rings,Heck they carry their frozen foods!