Truffled Fingerling Smashed Potatoes Recipe
Chef Garces folds truffle oil into smashed potatoes to make them even more irresistible.
What to buy: Fingerling potatoes are white potatoes with a thin skin. They can be found in gourmet grocery stores and at farmers’ markets. If you can’t find them, use Yukon Gold potatoes instead.
Truffle oil can be found at gourmet grocery stores.
This recipe was featured as part of our Suckling Pig for the Holidays menu.
* 5 pounds fingerling potatoes
* 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1/4 cup white truffle oil
* 4 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place potatoes in a large pot, add water to cover the potatoes by 2 inches, salt well (the water should taste like seawater), and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer potatoes until fork tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes, return to the pot along with butter, and cook over low heat until butter is melted. Using a hand-held potato masher, smash potatoes until butter is incorporated, leaving some lumps. Add cream, truffle oil, salt, and pepper and fold together. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Total: 1 hr
Active: 10 mins
Makes: 10 to 12 servings
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Truffled Fingerling Smashed Potatoes