Thursday, December 31, 2009

French Fry Diary 74: Big John’s CheeseSteaks & More, Cherry Hill NJ

Big John’s has been a Cherry Hill NJ icon for three decades, I’ve been aware of them for at least two. Even then, their pixie crinkle-cut French fries were the stuff of legend. Long before I started this French Fry Diary thing, folks who knew I loved fries always asked – Have you tried Big John’s?

For the record, they are also famous for their cheesesteaks and pickle bar, but that’s for someone else’s blog. It is worth mentioning though that when folks talk about cheesesteaks, this place ranks up there with the biggies, and it’s outside of Philadelphia. Yeah, they’re that good.

It’s been a while since I’d been to Big John’s, so when old friends chose it as our holiday meeting place to catch up this year, I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone and review the fries there as I haven’t yet. I hate to say it, but I was disappointed by what I found.

Oh no, don’t get me wrong, the cheesesteaks are still fantastic, and the fries were good, but they certainly were not Big John’s Famous Fries. What I got was standard regular cuts, deep fried, and very good – similar to diner fries only without the Invisicoat. But they were not the famous pixie crinkle cuts that I remember.

The old fries used to be some of the best around, crunchy on the outside and soft and hot on the inside, and served in large portions. I was quite disappointed to find them gone. One less reason to go to Big John’s. What a shame.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: