Saturday, December 12, 2009

Potato Latkes for Channukah

I'm a lapsed Episcopalian married into a Jewish family. I know my share of the Jewish religion, have attended services on numerous occasions and was even married by a Rabbi. I'm not converting, but I know my way around the Torah. Imagine my shock when I learned after nearly two decades of exposure that there was a holiday that heavily involved the potato! I might have married earlier had I known.

For the first night of Channukah, here’s a recipe for potato latkes (also known as the thinly disguised hash brown) from All Recipes:

Potato Latkes

"A classic potato latke, you can't go wrong with these crispy hot cakes. Serve with applesauce, sour cream and chopped green onions! Happy Hanukkah!"

Original Recipe Yield 10 to 12 latkes

Ingredients

2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
1 tablespoon grated onion
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup peanut oil for frying

Directions

1. Place the potatoes in a cheesecloth and wring, extracting as much moisture as possible.
2. In a medium bowl stir the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour and salt together.
3. In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Let drain on paper towels. Serve hot!


Bookmark and Share

No comments: