Wednesday, September 22, 2010

French Fry Diary 148: Luigi's Pizza Fresca

It's been a long time since I've been to Luigi's Pizza Fresca, as a matter of fact, I don't think it even was called that the last time I was there, almost a decade ago. The main reason I haven't been there is the Wawa that ruled the strip mall closed, leaving it anchorless. No Wawa, no reason to go to Pizza Fresca. It's sad, but true when you're in a strip mall that's difficult to get to.

The World Cup, Spain vs. Portugal, was on when I was there (yes, that long ago, takes a while to get these entries online, the backlog is so long…) and there seemed to be more than a few folks just for that. Good crowd for a hot summer afternoon, and always nice to see Americans worked up over a sport that isn't football or baseball. But while a good crowd, they were certainly more "Jersey Shore," than say, soccer fans.

When I had been here in the past, the steak sandwiches were notably spicy, but in a good way. Unfortunately, coupled with the closing of the Wawa, and our preference for Pat's and Sal's, we had not been here since. Steak sandwiches didn't matter now however, we were here for the favorite fried food today. And some soccer and vuvuzelas.

Like I said, I just got fries. Other folks who had ordered pizza, subs, salads and steak sandwiches and even entire meals (including fries) were served ahead of me. I think I had been forgotten. Finally they came, and the waitress almost gave them to someone else on their way to me. I was forgotten. Or maybe the cooks and waitstaff were too involved in the World Cup.

The fries were standard regular cuts, deep fried, with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Hot, not very greasy, but nothing spectacular other than being hot. Bland and unsensational covers it, I think. For the record, there are also Luigi's Pizza Frescas in Burlington and Philadelphia, but I've never visited. Kinda doubt I will now, except to people watch, and watch the World Cup again.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: