Tuesday, January 17, 2012

French Fry Diary 325: Chickie's & Pete's 2012

It's that time of year again, yeah, that's right, it's Philadelphia Wings lacrosse season. Now lately, this is a bittersweet thing. I have been, along with The Bride, members of her family, and various friends over the years, a season ticket holder for the Wings since roughly 1990. I like lacrosse a lot, it's pretty much the only professional sport I follow with any real passion. They used to be world champions, and always in the finals, and always a rough team to beat. Not so much lately. Lately, they get beat a lot, and badly.

I think this might be the last season we get tickets. That's how bad it's been. Regardless, the highlight of any opening night for the Wings home season -besides the game of course- is getting a giant cup of those Crab Fries from Chickie's & Pete's. Now this year, The Bride couldn't make it so I brought my friend Jeff, busting not only his lacrosse cherry but also his Chickie's & Pete's as well.

I don't think he was intending on eating many fries if at all when I offered. He'd already downed a Campo's cheesesteak before I got back to the table before the game. As always the fries were addictive, and like The Bride, Jeff also really dug the mystery cheese they give you as a side. I've never been a fan myself, just gimme my fries, ya know?

The addictiveness kicks in when you're still eating those cold fries from that huge bucket an hour and a half later as the game closes. Yeah, they're even good cold. The Wings lost that first game by the way, horribly, like 12-22, but there were seven fistfights (including the rare goalie on goalie fight) in the last thirty seconds of play. That is something. Maybe we will hold on to those tickets...

Bookmark and Share

No comments: