Monday, March 04, 2013

French Fry Diary 468: And So It's Come to This...


In the last couple months, The Bride got me a bag of rare potato chips from Anchor Food Finds, my big sister Bobbie found some holiday themed flavors of Pringles, my friend Marni bought me some snacks from Amish Farmers Markets, and I myself have been trying to obtain the three Save Your Fave potato chip flavors from Lay's. That's a lot of odd chips.

The Bride called tonight on her way home, and said she was stopping at Wawa. Did I want anything?

I told her I wanted potato chips, just a regular bag of regular potato chips. We both had a pretty good long laugh.

And so, it's come to this... I've got potato chip fatigue…

2 comments:

Heironymous said...

You need to go back to your roots and become a purist like me.

You eat a potato chip to taste potato.

However, I do agree that there is one, and only one, acceptable flavored potato chip, and that is BBQ.

Any other flavor (or flavoring) here in the USA is pointless.

I understand if you want to expand your brand overseas and in Singapore, Coconut is the preferred flavor. That is cultural.

But when I see pumpkin spice, cinnamon sugar, siracha, and chicken & waffle flavored chips (I refuse to call them potato), it is time to get back to your roots and stop this madness. You have a bully pulpit. Use it or Lose it!

Otherwise you may be forced one day to include potato flavored pretzels or broccoli fries.

(GASP!)




Digital Dave said...

One of my favorite blogs is Larry Gross. He's a writer in the Cincinnati area. He has this to say about potatoes: http://larry5154.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/baking-potatoes-for-my-father/