Friday, July 31, 2015

French Fry Diary 682: New York Reuben Potato Chips


Do Us A Flavor 2015 Taste Test #4 - New York Reuben flavored potato chips, submitted by Jeff Solensky:

I have to admit up front, that much like the Gyro, this catastrophically picky eater doesn't actually know what a Reuben is either. I know, I know, but that's what Google is for. According to the internet, a Reuben is a hot sandwich composed of corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese on rye bread. It can also include mustard or Russian dressing.

Uh huh. None of that sounds good to this catastrophically picky eater, but The Bride was very excited to try this one, a New York Reuben being right up her alley. And again, the ingredients offer no help whatsoever - Reuben Seasoning tells me nothing. Aren't there laws that say they have to tell us exactly what's in stuff?

I was intrigued by this one myself, as this was the only flavor submitted by a restauranteur, and notably one whose place was a deli. When I opened the bag, my eyes almost watered, the smell was so strong and overwhelming. I was not going to enjoy this and I hadn't even taken a bite yet.

The Bride immediately smelled the sauerkraut and tasted the caraway seeds they put on rye bread. She liked them and said they definitely reminded her of a Reuben. She had more than a few before I even tried them.

All I can say is this was not my thing at all, and did not like this chips one bit. The Bride is solid evidence that some folks might like them, but I did not.

If I put these in last place, Gyro in third, and Biscuits in second, that leaves Truffle Fries solidly with my vote. Which ones would you vote for?

3 comments:

Heironymous said...

As Montgomery Brewster (Richard Pryor version) would have said "Vote for None of the Above". Just give me a plain old "original" Charles Chip. Now that chip had flavor that didn't need dehydrated sauerkraut or caraway seeds.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Nope! Not for me either, Glenn. My eyes would have blinded me with tears. Thanks for sharing this, though. Always enjoy your potato posts.

Joanne Costantino said...

I agree with the Bride. They were reminiscent of a Reuben. I liked them, but still have to find the Truffle before I can rank them! Apparently the Truffles are very popular.