Wednesday, August 25, 2010

French Fry Diary 138: Jack 'n Jill Potato Chips, Barbeque Flavor

I go to the Asian Food Market a lot. I know this might surprise some of you out there, but even though I am a catastrophically picky eater, I do like to cook. And an amazing variety of interesting spices and other fun stuff can be had at these Asian places that you can't find at your friendly neighborhood Shop Rite or even Whole Foods.

This particular trip to the Asian Food Market in Barclay Center on Route 70 was to find my current white whale - French fries in a can. This Calbee and/or Jagabee product has been eluding me for quite some time, and this trip didn't prove successful either. If anyone knows where I can find these things in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area, please let me know.

However I did pick up a couple bags of Jack 'n Jill Potato Chips, specifically the Barbeque Flavor ones. Despite the name, Jack 'n Jill is part of a huge corporation called Universal Robina in the Phillipines, and that's pretty much why the Asian Food Market is the only place I've seen these chips.

The chips have a mild but appropriately hot regular barbeque flavor, but there is something else about them - a grainy yet not unpleasant something extra. A quick look at the ingredients shows all the normal bbq chip stuff and two other things. Palm oil is different and also rusk powder, which comes from an Asian and African biscuit similar to milk toast. Interesting.

I like them. And at a buck a bag, the price is right, especially when I couldn't find what I was initially looking for. Thank you, Asian Food Market!

Bookmark and Share

No comments: