Wednesday, December 11, 2013

French Fry Diary 546: Red Robin Seasoned Steak Fries


I have a soft spot in my heart for Red Robin. It is, after all, the home of the Bottomless Steak Fries. So when I saw that they had frozen fries available to make at home, I quickly snagged a bag of these frozen fries. The bad news, of course, is that they are not bottomless.

With Arby's, Checkers, and Burger King all competing in the frozen fry game, why not Red Robin? They do make good fries. Their natural cut seasoned steak fries are awesome, and in the restaurant, always good for at least one refill, if not two. The package itself promises Red Robin's signature blend of seasoning salt, as well as quickie recipes for two different dipping sauces.

They are only directions for baking, so that's how I did them. I have to admit being a bit surprised at the high temp (425 degrees) and longer than usual time (30 minutes), but I always gotta follow the instructions for a first time cooking. And I also had a little concern over the amount of seasoning on the fries, it seemed like a lot. As they cooked, the whole kitchen was filled with the aroma.

To be sure, next time I will make adjustments to the time and temp. There were more than a few crispy critters, still edible, and mostly small pieces, but still more crispy than I like - and I like crispy. They were overcooked, but steak fries being thick and 'meaty,' it's hard to ruin them that way.

All that said, these were pretty good steak fries, but very spicy, spicier than I remember them being at the Red Robin restaurant. I would definitely get these again, adjust the directions, have a cold refreshing drink nearby, and enjoy... until I hit bottom, of course.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These fries are absolutely disgusting and tasted nothing like the ones at the restaurant, very disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

They -are- spicier as I noted. Perhaps you need to adjust the directions. They were a bit wonky.

Anonymous said...

I Love Red Robin Steak Fries which are sold at Wal-Mart. The ABSOLUTE BEST!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

The worst fries I ever ate! Nothing even close to the restaurant, very disappointed!!

Unknown said...

Hmmm... I wonder what Red Robin puts in these fries that makes people want to comment anonymously?