Wednesday, February 08, 2012

French Fry Diary 334: Laurel Hill Barbeque Potato Chips

I was a bit bothered by the words on the bag the first time I tried Laurel Hill Barbeque Potato Chips. These kettle-cooked chips apparently have "40% reduced fat compared to regular potato chips." Really? Regular potato chips? Way to go, Health Nazis, insult the very snack you're trying to sell. They might as well say, "Potato chips suck, but hey, try ours."

Beyond that, these are all natural with no transfats, so that's something at least. The back of the bag further proclaims that they are also kosher, gluten-free, and that they have no artificial colors or flavors. Apparently, they are also "downright delicious."

Folks who frequent this French Fry Diary know that I love me some Whole Foods, and when I saw these at the check-out counter there, it was a no-brainer purchase. Now while they are a bag of chips, I don't know if they are 'all that.' They do have a bit of a zing, and an aftertaste. I'm not sure what does that. The ingredients list some intriguing items like apple cider vinegar and honey powder - but those should be good things.

These chips are okay for a change of pace, but I wouldn't want them every day. There are many other better types out there, but these are still worth a try. Who knows, you might love 'em.




Bookmark and Share

No comments: