Tuesday, February 14, 2012

French Fry Diary 336: Publix

We have a special treat for folks this week. While I'm busy running the Virtual Book Tour for THE HUNGRY HEART STORIES by my friend author Fran Metzman, another good friend of mine, Terry Willitts will be guest blogging here at French Fry Diary this week.

Today, it's Publix, a place I've actually gotten recommendations for, but alas there are none nearby, but Terry's got it covered...

PUBLIX CHICKEN AND ONION RINGS

Publix is a supermarket chain in the Southeast US, and they are noteworthy for their deli and bakery departments. (They also have great produce, decent prices, and great sales, especially their BOGO promotions.) Their deli makes some of the best subs - if you have one, you'll laugh at the idea of going to a Subway.

Recently, I had stopped in for some fried chicken (I prefer theirs to Popeyes or KFC) and saw they had fresh onion rings; I don't know if this is a new item, a seasonal one, or been there a while and I just haven't noticed (not entirely impossible.) I got a half pound of them with my chicken.

They were HUGE. I don't know about you, but I believe size does matter, especially when it comes to onion rings. The batter was light and crispy - not too crunchy but not soft or chewy. The onion was warm and taut and flavourful. These are the best onion rings I've had in years and highly recommend them, especially with an order of chicken, or perhaps a Publix sub. And stop by the bakery for a cake, pastry or other dessert.


Thanks, Terry! If you'd like more of Terry online, check out his regular blog here, his daily year long journey through "Doctor Who" from the very beginning here, and his eBay page here.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: